Artist Applications – Round One
Dear Council Chamber Artwork Task Force Members,
Thank you for participating in this process. We have 20 completed submissions from artists. The review process at this stage is meant to narrow this down to around 8 finalists that will then be interviewed.
A web page has been created for each artist, on the page will be a link to their artist statement and the sample images they submitted. You will reach each statement and review the samples and the complete the rating sheet.
The rating sheet is simple – for each artist you will indicate “yes” (they seem like a great fit for the project and should be a finalist and interviewed), “maybe” (i.e., perhaps the artistic quality is there; maybe they understand the theme, but perhaps the vision isn’t as strong; or you have some other reservations), or “no” (too many things don’t line up with what we are seeking to achieve).
There is a comments area for each artist on the ratings sheet – please use that space to explain why you rated the artists’ submission the way you did, or for any questions you would like to ask the applicant during the interview. Comments are optional but encouraged, and will be helpful in our determination of the choices for interviews. Any questions to the artists, or about the work and their submission, will be addressed during the interview.
Factors we are considering:
- Artistic quality
- Their vision for how they would approach the project
- Understanding of the theme: the overall themes that should be present in each piece of art created for this project are the People of our community and Progress in our community ‑ these may be broadly interpreted.
- Piece One Theme ‑ Early transportation ‑ illustrated in the existing artwork as a steamboat.
- Piece Two Theme ‑ Voyageurs/immigrants and their relationships with indigenous people
- Piece Three Theme ‑ Modern transportation ‑ illustrated in the existing artwork as rail travel
- Piece Four Theme ‑ Modern industry and progress ‑ featuring labor
- Ability to complete the work over the next six months
Your ratings will be reviewed by RCHS, collated, and the results shared to the group. Comments will be kept confidential unless you would like them shared.
There may be clear consensus on who the finalists should be, there may not. If there is no consensus we may schedule a phone meeting or simply add candidates that are “on the bubble” to the interview process.
An interview schedule poll will be sent out to the task force around October 1, we are looking at the 10th, 11th, and 12th for interviews with artists.
Thank you for sharing your time and wisdom in this process.
Chad & Robyn
Artist Rating Sheet
Please download the PDF for your ratings of each artist. Save the file with your name, as: yourlastname-RoundOne and send to firstname.lastname@example.org as per the instructions. Feel free to make comments in the spaces provided.
Questions? Email email@example.com or call 651-222-0701.
Artist Applications – Individual Pages
Please click on each link to view each artist’s images and documents. Documents are included as downloadable PDFs.