Travel back in time and experience Pioneer and Dakota life in the 1800s!
Gibbs Farm Field Trips & Tours
Gibbs Farm is a seasonal historic site open for field trips and scheduled tours from May through October. Costumed interpreters tell Jane (DeBow) Gibbs story from early childhood living among the Dakota of Cloud Man’s Village to the Gibbs family market garden farm of the late 1800s.
Gibbs Farm is a popular destination for field trips and summer groups. Field trips and tours by reservation are offered May through October. In addition to field trips, Gibbs Farm offers Pioneer and Dakota outreach programs and off-site demonstrations year round.
The Pioneer Tour
This tour introduces the story of Jane Gibbs and focuses on Pioneer life in early Minnesota and includes stations designed to be a time-line of events. These include the Soddy and Animals, the Farmhouse Original Room and Victorian-Era Parlor, Bed Chambers and Farm Lab (NEW for 2016), Summer Kitchen, One-Room Schoolhouse, and one Hands-On Activity. Allow two hours. Price: $6.00/student. (See below for teacher and chaperone pricing).
The Dakota Tour
This tour focuses on the lifeways of Dakota, Minnesota’s first people, in the early nineteenth century. It includes an introduction to Cloud Man and his village, the Travois and Gardens, Maple Sugar Camp, Summer Bark Lodge, Wild Rice Camp, Tipi, and one Hands-On-Activity. Allow two hours. Price: $6.00/student. (See below for teacher and chaperone pricing).
Pioneer & Dakota Tour
Schools and groups may opt for both a Pioneer and Dakota tour on the same day. This includes the stations described above, one Hands-On Activity, and a ½ hour lunch break (bring bag lunches). Allow four hours. Price: $10.00/student. (See below for teacher and chaperone pricing).
The Kindergarten/Combo Tour
The tour includes the Pioneer Soddy, Dakota Summer Bark Lodge, Tipi, Farm Animals and Birds, and the One-Room Schoolhouse. Allow 90 minutes. Price: $4.00/student. A hands-on activity such as candle making or ice cream can be added to the tour. The cost for the tour with an activity is $6.00/student. (See below for teacher and chaperone pricing.)
Unique in this region, Gibbs Farm includes one Hands-On Activity as part of our Dakota and Pioneer tours. These activities bring the field trip experience to life for children. When students bring make-and-take crafts home, the information learned is reinforced as they share the experience with family.
- Pioneer Activity Options: Candle dipping or Corn Husk Dolls or Ice Cream Demo/Tasting.
- Dakota Activity Options: Beaded Bracelet or Birch Paper Winnow Basket.
- Additional Activities may be included with tours. Allow 20 minutes for each additional Activity. Price: $1.50/each.
Adult Tour Packages
All tours are also available for adult groups. Price: $6.00/person. Add $1.50 for Hands-On-Activity.
Custom Field Trips
Work with Gibbs Farm staff to create your specialized tour.
Field Trip & Tour Pricing
- Pioneer Tour: $6.00/student
- Dakota Tour: $6.00/student
Note: All Pioneer and Dakota Tours include a unique hands-on activity. Experience shows the importance of hands-on activities to enhance the students’ learning, however groups choosing to forego the hands-on activity should deduct 20 minutes from the tour. Cost of tour without the activity is $5.00/student.
- Pioneer & Dakota Tour: $10.00/student
- Combo/Kindergarten Tour: $4.00/student
- Additional Hands-On Activities are available for $1.50 per student/person. Allow an additional 20 minutes for each Activity.
- Teachers and para-professionals: no charge.
- Two adult chaperones per classroom: no charge.
- Additional adult chaperones are welcome: $6.00/each.
- Outreach and off-site prices are variable. Call for information: 651-646-8629.