Job Opportunities at
Ramsey County Historical Society
Historic Site Interpreter Gibbs Farm: Pathways to Dakota and Pioneer Life
Ramsey County Historical Society’s (RCHS) Gibbs Farm, a historic site presenting mid-19th century pioneer and Dakota Indian culture, seeks applicants for part-time, seasonal Historic Site Interpreter positions.
Applicants must attend all paid training dates Monday-Friday, April 17 – 21, 2017 from 10:00-3:00
Monday- Friday, April 24 – 28, 2017 from 10:00-3:00
These are seasonal positions, not summer jobs.
Staff must be able to work a varied schedule of weekdays and weekends (three weekend days a month), May through November.
The Role of Historic Site Interpreters:
- Educate school children and museum visitors by leading engaging tours of the site.
- Perform manual tasks which demonstrate the historical lifestyle of the mid-1800s.
- Assist with cleaning and caring for historic structures, grounds, animals and gardens.
- Receive, welcome and orient visitors to the museum’s grounds, facility and history.
- Learn site-related historical materials provided by RCHS/Gibbs Farm.
- Assist with day camps and weekend public programs.
- Occasionally assist with off-site activities such as school outreaches, parades, etc.
- Perform admissions, retail sales and clerical duties.
- Wear period-style costumes.
- Perform additional related work as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Ability to lift 35 pounds.
- Experience in teaching, museum interpretation, theatre or storytelling.
- Background in working with school-aged children.
- College course work in history or anthropology.
- Interest or knowledge of mid-1800s farming and domestic skills.
- Demonstrated experience or knowledge of Dakota culture and history.
- Understanding of Minnesota native prairie.
- Experience working with diverse audiences.
Employment Start Date: April 2017/Employment End Date: November 2017
8-15 hours/week Wage: $12.50/hour
To Apply: Send a cover letter explaining why you would like to work at Gibbs Farm along with a recent resume.
E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Gibbs Farm, 2097 W. Larpenteur Avenue, Falcon Heights, MN 55113.
All applications must be postmarked by March 1, 2017 to be considered.
We will not respond to applications received after this date.